- linking function
Coordinating Conjunction (coordinator)
e.g. and, or, but
- link units of equal syntactic status
- two coordinated phrases form a new phrase of the same type as two constituent conjoins
- syndetic coordination : involve an overt coordinator
- asyndetic coordination : involve no overt coordinator
Subordinating Conjunction (subordinator)
- introduce subordinate clauses
- link units of unequal syntactic status
- the string of words introduced by the subordinator is syntactically subordinate to what precedes it
- expressions of emotion, physical state, agreement, disagreement, etc.
e.g. ah, erh, no, oh, ouch, yes, shit, etc.